Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tsunami Warning Canceled

The tsunami hit Maui, but it was only a few feet high. My friend Jeff watched it from upcountry through his powerful artillery spotting scope (same model as I've got in my bedroom window). He reported that Kahului Harbor had some boiling, a surge, and then a big silt cloud washed in through the breakwall, but there was no damage.

When I talked to him on the phone, he was hard at work at his propane grill, cooking up brats for a hastily-thrown tsunami party he'd put together for several groups of friends seeking refuge at his house (elevation 1890 feet above sea level) from their beachfront homes. He was dealing with the crisis in the traditional Hawai'ian way - throw a party, drink a lot, cook up some grinds. If you're going to die, might as well die tipsy and on a full stomach.

A few minutes later, he texted me to report a serious crisis - he was running low on beer.

No comments: